Re: non-standard escapes in string literals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: non-standard escapes in string literals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > This also poses the biggest problem in terms of legacy compatibility.
> > Perhaps the answer is to add a runtime config option (and default it
> > to ANSI) and possibly deprecate the C escaping.
>
> While I wouldn't necessarily object to a runtime option, I do object
> to both the other parts of your proposal ;-).  Backslash escaping is
> not broken; we aren't going to remove it or deprecate it, and I would
> vote against making it non-default.

When we are talking about the places where you need double escaping
(once for parser, once for input function) to make it work, I would also
say that that is very cumbersome (not broken, since it is thus documented) :-)
I would also default to strict ANSI, but not depricate the escaping when set.
All imho of course.

Andreas