Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I suspect that the main thing that will cause issues is removal of
> implicit coercions to text.  For example, in 7.2 and before you can do
>
> test72=# select 'At the tone, the time will be ' || now();
>                           ?column?
>  At the tone, the time will be 2002-04-11 11:49:27.309181-04
> (1 row)

I have seen this coding practice extremely often and would be very unhappy if
it were not allowed any more. Imho automatic coercions are a good thing
and should be done where possible. Other extensible databases also allow this
without a cast. Imho the main culprit is finding a "number" format that will not
loose precision when implicitly propagated to.

Andreas