Re: elog() patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: elog() patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter writes:
> > SQL92 has WARNING, would that be a suitable addition to NOTICE ?
> > INFO would not be added since it is like old NOTICE which would stay.
> > So, instead of introducing a lighter level we would introduce a
> > stronger level. (WARNING more important than NOTICE)
> > If we change, we might as well adopt some more SQL'ism.
>
> At the client side SQL knows two levels, namely a "completion condition"
> and an "exception condition".  In the PostgreSQL client protocol, these
> are distinguished as N and E message packets.  The tags of the messages
> are irrelevant, they just serve as a guide to the user reading the
> message.

I am referring to "completion condition" messages according to SQLSTATE:

00xxx:    Success
01xxx:    Success with Warning
02xxx:    Success but no rows found
03 and > :    Failure

I see that there is no notion of INFO, thus I agree that INFO should not be
something normally sent to the user. INFO could be the first DEBUG Level,
or completely skipped.

I think that LOG would be more worth the trouble than INFO.

Andreas