Re: Time as keyword - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: Time as keyword
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Imho it would be nice if we could allow "select timestamp(xxx);",
> > and this has been the umpteenth request in this regard, and 7.2 is not even
> > released yet.
>
> afaicr one of the very sticky areas is the SQL99-specified syntax for
> date/time literals:
>
>   timestamp(6) '2001-01-08 04:05:06'
>
> which is difficult to reconcile with a function named timestamp:

But since '2001-01-08 04:05:06' is in single quotes it can't be
a column label, which would be the only other "token?" after a function,
no ?

So it is eighter timestamp(6) followed by ' a single quote, or timestamp
is a function in this context  ???

Andreas