Re: TimestampTZ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Lambert
Subject Re: TimestampTZ
Date
List pgsql-general
Naz Gassiep wrote:

>> As clearly stated in the documentation
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES
>>

> Perhaps I'm thick, but I don't find that particular page to be clear on
> this at all.
> - Naz.

Refer to this paragraph: (8.5.1.2)

For timestamp with time zone, the internally stored value is always in
UTC (Universal Coordinated Time, traditionally known as Greenwich Mean
Time, GMT). An input value that has an explicit time zone specified is
converted to UTC using the appropriate offset for that time zone. If no
time zone is stated in the input string, then it is assumed to be in the
time zone indicated by the system's timezone parameter, and is converted
to UTC using the offset for the timezone zone.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator