Re: how to detect the backup database every day - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brian
Subject Re: how to detect the backup database every day
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> son@raider.co.nz wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I use a crontab job to backup and restore my database every midnight
>> every
>> day (using pg_dump and restore...)
>>
>> My cron job run well for a while. However, today I discovered that my
>> database was not restored for one month.
>>
>> I also fix the problem as there is corruption in the script.
>>
>> My question is how I can detect whether the backup or restore
>> processes is
>> corrupted. I donot want that my backup database is one month old  -:(
>

> Well, if the script failed with an error, cron should have sent you an
> email (or the user the script runs as, anyway).

To expand on that, have a look at your crontab and ensure that the call
to your script does not end with ">/dev/null 2>&1". That will cause the
script to run silently, regardess of any errors. If you want it to be
silent yet have errors emailed to you, change it to ">/dev/null"
(without the quotes).

If the emails have been sent but this is an account on a remote server
you might want to investigate having the emails for that remote account
sent to your regular email address.

brian