Re: backend process terminates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: backend process terminates
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Geoffrey Myers <geof@serioustechnology.com> writes:
>> The output from the gdb batch process may be found here:
>> http://www.serioustechnology.com/gdbbatch.txt
>
> gdb isn't telling you the whole truth, evidently --- how'd control get
> from line 781 to 912 with nothing in between?  Recompiling the backend
> with -O0 or at most -O1 would be a good idea to get a more trustworthy
> gdb trace.

As previously noted, we are building some third party code into the
backend.  We don't have the source code, so it's difficult to know what
might be going on there.

I don't know all the idiosyncrasies of how this works, so bear with me
on this.  The developer at the vendor indicated that he's narrowed down
the problem to a set of wrapper routines in their code.  They are named
OpenFile(), CloseFile() and ReadFile();  He inquired as to whether there
might be routines in the Postgresql code with the same names that might
be causing a conflict.  Sure enough, I searched the Postgresql source
code and found routines with the same names.  I don't see how this could
pose a problem though, as it is my understanding that the compiler will
properly address this issue.

Anyone think this might be a problem?

--
Until later, Geoffrey