Indexing Hostnames with tsearch2 and fti.c - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Landrum
List pgsql-general
We're currently using the old fti.c code for searching our database.
It's indexing a mixed bag of hostnames, employee names, ticket subjects,
and the like.  We hacked it to make it work correctly for hostnames,
ignoring whitespace and periods as word boundaries.

Since were moving to 8.2, we noticed fti.c was no longer included in the
distro.  Our hacked version still compiles, bit it appears that everyone
is switching to tsearch2, and now is a good time to update.

Has anyone used tsearch2 for indexing/searching hostnames?  What's
involved?  I believe it's possible with a custom dictionary, but don't
have any experience with writing them.

We currently index about 500000 records.  Will tsearch2 have any trouble
sifting through that many records?

Thanks,

Rob