Re: New Index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: New Index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
algatt wrote:
> I am trying to create a new index for high multi-dimensional indexing.
> The index I'm trying to use in PR-Tree ( www.cs.duke.edu/~yike/prtree/
> ).
>
> I have created a new source file in "src/backend/access/" and for now
> I have created the empty functions: build, insert, vacuum, etc... I
> believe that this has to be done in C. Then I ran "/src/include/
> catalog/unused_oids" to find the unused oids, and then i added the
> oids to the functions in the source "file /src/include/catalog/
> pg_proc.h". I re-ran initdb and inserted the functions in pg_am table.

You seem to be on the right track.

> Now obviously I have to add the proper code to the functions, but the
> version of the code I have for the PR-Tree is in C++. Is there a way
> to implement the functions using the existing PR-Tree code in C++?

No, we don't support C++ in the backend. It's almost certainly easier to
just start from scratch anyway, because integrating it with all the
PostgreSQL infrastructure like the buffer manager, vacuum, WAL-logging,
data type and operator system.