Re: problem urgent - please help - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: problem urgent - please help
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
vbhatia@ksu.edu wrote:
> I have written a Java application that reads the data from a postgresql
> database and retrieves a particular field, performs some actions on
> that field and finally store the calculated data in some other
> table.The postgresql database, however is changing continuously , since
> new data is being added every minute. My problem is that I want to
> write some trigger in my java application that would be invoked as soon
> as there is a change in the database and perform the above actions for
> that newly added row.

You can write a trigger in Java.  If you're asking if a trigger in
PostgreSQL can invoke your standalone Java program, the short answer is
no.  You can probably rig something up using an untrusted PL language,
though.  There is no untrusted Java implementation, though, so you'd
have to use another one to implement the glue code.  Sounds like your
best bet would be to write a trigger in Java, and just run the whole
thing in the DB.

--
Guy Rouillier