Assistance with a trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul Lambert
Subject Assistance with a trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have some triggers in an MS SQL server database which I need to copy
across to a PG database. I've not yet done triggers in PG so I was
hoping to get a little bit of a pointer on the first one as a place to
start and work my way through from there.

The trigger looks like thus:

CREATE TRIGGER update_so_tran ON parts_purchasing FOR INSERT, UPDATE
AS

begindeclare @found intdeclare @update varchar(10)declare @dealerid varchar(6)declare @trx_address varchar(10)declare
@quan_receivednumeric(14,4)declare @amn_received numeric(14,4)declare @quan_invoiced numeric(14,4)declare @amn_invoiced
numeric(14,4)declare@line_no intselect @update = tran_status from insertedif @update = "U" or @update = "D"    select
@dealerid= dealer_id from inserted    select @trx_address = so_tran_address from inserted    select @quan_received =
qty_receivedfrom inserted    select @amn_received = amt_received from inserted    select @quan_invoiced = qty_invoiced
frominserted    select @amn_invoiced = amt_invoiced from inserted    select @line_no = line_number from inserted
updateparts_purchasing set qty_received=qty_received + @quan_received,                    qty_invoiced = qty_invoiced +
@quan_invoiced,                   amt_invoiced = amt_invoiced + @amn_invoiced,                    amt_received =
amt_received+ @amn_received        where dealer_id = @dealerid AND so_tran_address = @trx_address;end if

end

Basically in words, I have a parts_purchasing table which contains
master order records as well as sub-records for the actual receival and
invoicing of the orders. whenever a receival and invoice transaction
comes through I need to update the qty_received, qty_invoiced,
amt_received and amt_invoiced on the master record. It's pretty straight
forward in SQL server but I'm having a little bit of difficulty in
wrapping my head around it in PG. I know I have to create a function and
call that from the trigger I'm just having a small bit of trouble in
working out how to write this function.

If anyone could give me a starting point that would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.

--
Paul Lambert