Possible feature request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brian Hurt
Subject Possible feature request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm not sure if this is the right venue for this- if it isn't, I apologize.

But a feature that I'd like to see is the ability to put an 'as' alias
on the target of an update statement.

I find myself often writing statements like:   UPDATE      some_really_long_table_name   SET      col1 = some_value,
 col2 = some_other_value   FROM      some_other_really_long_table_name AS table2   WHERE
some_really_long_table_name.col3= table2.col3      AND some_really_long_table_name.col4 = table2.col4   ;

What I'd like to write is:   UPDATE      some_really_long_table_name AS table1   SET      col1 = some_value,      col2
=some_other_value   FROM      some_other_really_long_table_name AS table2   WHERE      table1.col3 = table2.col3
ANDtable1.col4 = table2.col4   ;

Is this possible?  Not for 8.3, obviously, but maybe for 8.4?

Brian