Re: BUG #3467: Sum strange behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #3467: Sum strange behaviour
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Alex wrote:
> I have a database with some float numbers (all of them are 2 digits
> presision). When I do select sum() I get this: 96.3100000000001
> Is this bug or future ?

A feature. Floating point numbers can't generally represent a decimal
number exactly, so you get some rounding errors. Usually the errors are
small enough that they don't show up, but sometimes they do, like in
this example. I would recommend using NUMERIC instead of floats for
anything where the input data is in decimal format.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas