Re: write_pipe_chunks patch messes up early error message output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: write_pipe_chunks patch messes up early error message output
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, that would work.  You'd have to get rid of the current ad-hoc
>>> method by which it is propagated to the syslogger child process
>>> (EXEC_BACKEND case), because now it will have to be propagated to all
>>> children; so postmaster.c should handle it in BackendParameters.
>>>

>> The problem with this as it stands is that the syslogger itself is
>> forked before the redirection is done.
>>

> Which is entirely correct.  Re-read what I said about first launch vs
> relaunch of the syslogger.  Its stderr will be connected differently in
> the two cases, and should be handled differently --- we want the first
> launch to try to report problems on its own stderr, but there's no point
> after a relaunch.  That's why we pass down redirection_done to it.

What I was trying to nut out was how to handle logging from the first
launched syslogger after redirection is done.

Or, looking at it another way, why would we ever want the syslogger to
use the chunking protocol at all?

cheers

andrew