Re: plpgsql and qualified variable names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Affan Salman
Subject Re: plpgsql and qualified variable names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>  ISTM supporting "somefunc.ambiguous" just gives us another way to
>  reference the parameter, and there still isn't any way to refer the
>  column.

Could we not, at least, support explicit column disambiguation?

e.g.  This PL/SQL procedure:
   CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE insert_emp (empno emp.empno%TYPE,                                           ename
emp.ename%TYPE)IS   BEGIN           INSERT INTO emp (empno, ename) VALUES (empno, ename);   END;

is tantamount to writing this:
   CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE insert_emp (empno emp.empno%TYPE,                                           ename
emp.ename%TYPE)IS   BEGIN           INSERT INTO emp (emp.empno, emp.ename)                  VALUES (insert_emp.empno,
insert_emp.ename);  END;

Both are valid, and notice how the latter evinces disambiguation
supported both ways.

--
Affan Salman
EnterpriseDB Corporation                      http://www.enterprisedb.com