Re: FORGOT TO CONFIGURE RAID! DELL POWEREDGE 2950 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Hannes Dorbath
Subject Re: FORGOT TO CONFIGURE RAID! DELL POWEREDGE 2950
Date
Re: FORGOT TO CONFIGURE RAID! DELL POWEREDGE 2950  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Joseph wrote:
> We just got a DELL POWEREDGE 2950.   So I was tasked with putting
> Linux Redhat and dumped our software/packages on it.  Contrary to
> common sense, I didn't bother reading the manuals that came with te
> 2950.  I went right ahead and installed Redhat server on it, then went
> and loaded the backups software/data etc onto it and started having
> the team use it.

And this has to do with pgsql.performance exactly what?

Anyway, as someone who seems to administrates a PostgreSQL production
box, you sure have a good backup plan. So just call DELL's support, fix
you RAID and restore form backup.

From the DELL site it seems this `PERC 5/i' on board controller
(assuming that's what you have) doesn't even have a BBU. If you don't
plan to post here in a few weeks again about data corruption, go out and
shop a serious controller.

And before you move that box in production, check:

Is my hardware and software setup fsync/fua clean?
Is my backup plan working?

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath