Re: Problem identifying constraints which should not be inherited - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem identifying constraints which should not be inherited
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Chris Fischer" <Chris.Fischer@channeladvisor.com> writes:
> alter table only t1 add constraint ck_col1 check (number <> 0);

The bug here is that we allow that.  Continuing your example,

regression=# insert into t2 values(0);
INSERT 0 1
regression=# select * from t1;
 col1
------
    0
(1 row)

which sure looks to me like a violation of the principle of least
surprise.

This has come up before and I think the consensus was to disallow
non-inherited check constraints; not sure why it hasn't been done yet.

            regards, tom lane