Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> PFC <lists@peufeu.com> writes:
>>> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?
>
>>     I think newbies should be pushed a bit to use the latest versions,
>
> How about pushed *hard* ?  I'm constantly amazed at the number of people
> who show up in the lists saying they installed 7.3.2 or whatever random
> version they found in a dusty archive somewhere.  "Please upgrade" is at
> least one order of magnitude more valuable configuration advice than
> anything else we could tell them.

(picking up an old thread while at a boring wait at the airport.. anyway)

I keep trying to think of more nad better ways to do this :-) Perhaps we
should put some text on the bug reporting form (and in the documentation
about bug reporting) that's basically "don't bother reporting a bug
unless you're on the latest in a branch, and at least make sure you're
on one of the maojr releases listed on www.postgresql.org"?

Seems reasonable?

//Magnus