Re: Still recommending daily vacuum... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> FWIW, I normally go with the 8.2 defaults, though I could see dropping
>> vacuum_scale_factor down to 0.1 or 0.15. I also think the thresholds
>> could be decreased further, maybe divide by 10.
>
> How about pushing thresholds all the way down to 0?

As long as it handles small (or zero row) tables ok then yes.  The
base_threshold in the originial contrib autovacuum was just an easy way
to not vacuum really small tables too often.  If a table has only 10
rows, it's going to get vacuumed every time one row is updated.  I guess
that's not a big problem with a table that small but still seems excessive.

If you think this isn't a problem with the current autovacuum, then sure
turn it down to zero, and perhaps we can even get rid of it altogether
in another release or two.