convert column of integer type to time type? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Carol Cheung
Subject convert column of integer type to time type?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I want to convert a column of type integer to type 'time without time zone'.

If I have a table with an integer column

  some_int
----------
        12
       345
      1622
         1

Then, I add a column to the table of type 'time without time zone'
(some_time).
and, I can perform the update:

UPDATE tester SET some_time = CAST (to_char(some_int, 'FM99909:99') AS
time without time zone);

  some_int | some_time
        12 | 00:12:00
       345 | 03:45:00
      1622 | 16:22:00
         1 | 00:01:00

My question is: Is it possible to alter the 'some_int' column directly
without having to create a temporary 'some_time' holding column?

Thanks in advance,