Re: growing disk usage problem: alternative solution? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: growing disk usage problem: alternative solution?
Date
List pgsql-general
wu_zhong_min@vrane.com wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I have been a user since 7.x version.  My current server version is 8.1.2.
>
> As many of you know the disk usage keeps growing for postgresql unless one regularly reindex and/or fully vacuum.
Theproblem with either method is that they lock the tables and it is not practical for databases that one wants to keep
itavailable for 24x7x365 basis.  For very large tables, while the tables are being reindexed, there will be many
waitingupdate/delete/insert processes and this is not at all desirable.

That is not true. If you have a proper vacuum strategy then you should
be able to maintain a specific level of growth that is directly related
to your dataset growth.

In short if you vacuum enough, you don't have to vacuum full.

> Server response is still great even with growing disk usage.  Any one has other ideas to check the growth of the disk
usage.

> Please do not cc the response to me.  I will read it in the list.

Not how this list works, your options are:

1. You only receive the reply
2. You + the list receives the reply

Most users opt for 2.

Sincerely,