Re: unexpected shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Colombo
Subject Re: unexpected shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general
developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
>> developer@wexwarez.com writes:
>>> My database has shutdown several times in the last couple days.  I have
>>> no
>>> idea why.  I am running centos and I have not rebooted the server or
>>> made
>>> any configuration changes.

Oh, I forgot. You do have plenty of swap space compared to RAM, yes? If
you're running w/o swap, or little swap, the default settings of
overcommit_memory = 2 will cut your available RAM by a factor of 2.

This thread is interesting reading:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general@postgresql.org/msg97648.html

Since disk space is usually cheap these days, my rule of thumb is (the
old one):

swap = 2 * ram

read it this way: "it you have 32GB of RAM, you can afford 64GB of disk
storage"

BTW, this is a good idea both with overcommit on and off, IMHO.

.TM.