Re: PgAgent output - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PgAgent output
Date
List pgadmin-support
[please keep replies on list]

Eric Shuman wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Typically I do run it from an init script.  In this case the output just
> goes to the login screen of the physical server, which is not too big of a
> deal since I rarely use the system that way. (Though it would be nice to
> keep that screen uncluttered as well)  The problem mostly arises during
> testing when I have started pgAgent manually, and still try to use that
> terminal session to do more work.
>
> I don't get any output to the screen while pgAgent is sleeping, but as soon
> as a job starts to run I will get output.  Nothing gets written to the
> created log file.

If you increase the log level to 2, you should see the scheduler
activity, eg:

DEBUG: Checking for jobs to run
DEBUG: Sleeping...
DEBUG: Clearing inactive connections
DEBUG: Connection stats: total - 1, free - 0, deleted - 0

Does that go to the logfile, or the terminal?

Also, what sort of jobs are you running; shell, or SQL? If the former,
is it just failing to capure one of the standard output streams for
example? Can you create a test script that outputs to both stderr and
stdout and see if one of both fail to get captured?

If it's an SQL job, what are you seeing in the output? Is it the normal
command tags etc. that PostgreSQL outputs, or vacuum output etc?

> I guess I could just redirect stdout & stderr  to /dev/null or some file.

Yeah, but I'd rather find out why it's not working for you.

Regards, Dave.