Re: DeadLocks..., DeadLocks... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Allison
Subject Re: DeadLocks..., DeadLocks...
Date
List pgsql-general
Terry Fielder wrote:

> My 2 cents:
>
> I used to get a lot of these sharelock problems.
> Users using different records, but same tables in different order.
> (apparently 7.x was not as good as 8.x at row level locking)
>
> I was advised to upgrade from 7.x to 8.x
> I did, and all those sharelock problems went away.

I'm on version 8.2 and not all the problems have gone away.

All I can do right now is just trap the error and retry...
Gets bogged down after a while.  Not sure how much of a limitation the hardware
is but 6 users and I start to run into a deadlock almost every 10 seconds.

I rarely need to go to 6 users, but it's interesting to see what happens when I do.

I'm finding the length of time necessary to wait for a retry can very a lot.

But I'm open to suggestions.