Re: [ADMIN] reclaiming disk space after major updates - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dan Harris
Subject Re: [ADMIN] reclaiming disk space after major updates
Date
List pgsql-performance
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:26:56PM -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
>> They don't always have to be in a single transaction, that's a good idea to
>> break it up and vacuum in between, I'll consider that.  Thanks
>
> If you can do it this way, it helps _a lot_.  I've had to do this
> sort of thing, and breaking into groups of a couple thousand or so
> really made the difference.

One more point in my original post.. For my own education, why does VACUUM FULL
prevent reads to a table when running (I'm sure there's a good reason)?  I can
certainly understand blocking writes, but if I could still read from it, I'd
have no problems at all!

-Dan