Re: Generate random password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Generate random password
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can anyone suggest how one might be able to do this? I want to be able
> to generate an 8 character random password for users in their password
> field. Perhaps through the default setting of the field or a trigger
> function. I found the following, but is there anything that can be used
> on both Windows and *nix or can this be used on Windows somehow?
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=994

If you don't need something that's actually secure, you ca ndo it
trivially in PL/pgsql.Here's what I use, for example:

CREATE FUNCTION generate_random_password() RETURNS text
    AS $$
DECLARE
   j int4;
   result text;
   allowed text;
   allowed_len int4;
BEGIN
   allowed := '23456789abcdefghjkmnpqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHJKMNPQRSTUVWXYZ&#%@';
   allowed_len := length(allowed);
   result := '';
   WHILE length(result) < 16 LOOP
      j := int4(random() * allowed_len);
      result := result || substr(allowed, j+1, 1);
   END LOOP;
   RETURN result;
END;
$$
    LANGUAGE plpgsql;

It's not fast (but how many thousands are you generating per second
anyway), it's not "really secure", but it works :)

(Note that the function explicitly excludes characters like I, 1 and l
because they look too similar)

//Magnus