Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition
Date
List pgsql-general
Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> Hi all.
> I need to run both 8.1 and 8.2 at the same time in order to check
> everything in 8.2 *before* shutting 8.1 down.
> I need to run both as I only have one machine available.
> I'm using a debian derivateive (Kubuntu) that provides a nice pg_wrapper
> mechanism to direct connections for tools to either version you want.
> Infact I see both versions running, one on port 5432 and one on port 5433.
> The point is thay I have no clue on ow to choose which instance attach to.
> I've already posted this question to the KUbuntu team with no answer in 14+
> hours.

You choose one or the other by changing the port.  If you're not sure
which is running on which port, you can try connecting.

something along the lines of:

psql -p 5433 -U postgres template1
select version();

should tell you.