Re: Question on pgbench output - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question on pgbench output
Date
List pgsql-performance
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 16:34 -0700, David Kerr wrote:
>> 400 concurrent users doesn't mean that they're pulling 1.5 megs /
>> second every second.

> There's a world of difference between 400 connected and 400 concurrent
> users. You've been testing 400 concurrent users, yet without measuring
> data transfer. The think time will bring the number of users right down
> again, but you really need to include the much higher than normal data
> transfer into your measurements and pgbench won't help there.

Actually pgbench can simulate think time perfectly well: use its \sleep
command in your script.  I think you can even set it up to randomize the
sleep time.

I agree that it seems David has been measuring a case far beyond what
his real problem is.

            regards, tom lane