Re: How do I insert a record into a table? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Brian Hurt
Subject Re: How do I insert a record into a table?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
--- Brian Hurt <bhurt@janestcapital.com> wrote:

I want to write a query like:
INSERT INTO table SELECT func(args);
where func is defined as:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION func(args)
RETURNS table
AS $_$   ...
$_$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
Unfortunately, when I try to do this, I get:
ERROR: column "first_column" is of type integer but expression is of
type record
I get this error even if I list the columns:
INSTER INTO table(first_column, second_column, ...) ....
So how do I take a record returned from a function, and insert it as a
row into a table?
What does a select * from table; look like?
What does a select * from func(args); look like?

The same.  Note that I defined func to return type table.