Re: like/ilike improvements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: like/ilike improvements
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> There should somewhere be a block comment explaining all the reasoning
> we've so painfully gone through about why the three cases (SB, MB, UTF8)
> are needed and how they must differ.

I'm working on a detailed description/rationale.

However, I have just about convinced myself that we don't need
IsFirstByte for matching "_" for UTF8, either preceded by "%" or not, as
it should always be true. Can anyone come up with a counter example? I
don't mind keeping it and using it in Assert() though.

cheers

andrew