Re: LIKE search and performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: LIKE search and performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mark Lewis wrote:

> PG could scan the index looking for matches first and only load the
> actual rows if it found a match, but that could only be a possible win
> if there were very few matches, because the difference in cost between a
> full index scan and a sequential scan would need to be greater than the
> cost of randomly fetching all of the matching data rows from the table
> to look up the visibility information.

Just out of curiosity: Does Postgress store a duplicate of the data in the index, even for long strings?  I thought
indexesonly had to store the string up to the point where there was no ambiguity, for example, if I have "missing",
"mississippi"and "misty", the index only needs "missin", "missis" and "mist" in the actual index.  This would make it
impossibleto use a full index scan for a LIKE query.

Craig