Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake schrieb:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>>> I think for one, mysql uses tables for all of its access control.
>>> Coding plesk/cpanel to modify pg_hba.conf and rehup postgres would take
>>> a bit more work, I would imagine.
>>
>> In a lot of environments, it'd certainly be impossible, at least until
>> we make it possible to edit the config files remote... (oops, recap of
>> endless amounts of discussions on letting pgadmin do that..)
>
> Well more to the point. There really is zero reason why we can't have a
> table representation of pg_hba_conf that is the pg_hba.conf file that
> has triggers that right out the file.
>

>>> Do we really want to pursue making PostgreSQL easier to admin for the
>>> non-system admin?  Cpanel and plesk and like tools are pretty far down
>>> the list of important things to support or code for.
>>
>> If we want to make inroads into shared-hosting environments, it would
>> certainly help...
>
> It is not just shared hosting... dedicated hosting starts as little as
> 69.00 with Cpanel :)...
>
> Note that I am not advocating making it easier for Cpanel. I am just
> making a point that it is not limited to shared hosting.
>
> I am however advocating that it is pretty dumb that our conf files are
> *required* as a little text file on the filesystem and can not be
> managed via the database.

Furthermore, you would even want to have more options on the entire
permission and account management.

One way I could envision is a setting in postgresql.conf to tell
the postmaster which access control to use and make it pluggable.

This way you can use pg_hba.conf, dedicated system tables or
maybe LDAP one day. (or just another postgres database)

Does it sound too easy? I hope so :-)

Regards
Tino