Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus ha scritto:
> to adopt MySQL.  MySQL is still much, much better at marketing than we are.

Hi Josh,

   please allow me to break into your discussion. The *marketing* issue
is something that - at least in Italy - is virtually non existant.

   We have just started a project within the PGDay whose aim is to
create a working group of ICT companies that work together with the
community in order to target their needs and to promote PostgreSQL better.

   My opinion is that people do not use PostgreSQL as they should because:

1) they do not know about it (believe me, that is true and an absolute
shame and - allow me the expression - a waste!!!)
2) they think it is too hard to setup and to maintain (that's absolutely
a misconception - it has got a steeper learning curve, but IMHO
PostgreSQL skills are highly transferrable - at least much more than
MySQL's)
3) there is no professional assistance
4) it lacks of diffused and cheap ways of using it (I refer to the LAMP
framework for instance).

   The aim of the working group is therefore to help the community to
get to know better the business requests and let companies know about
the community. I am interested into knowing if you have had similar
experiences in other parts of the world and what are your thoughts.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, IWA/HWG Member
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy