Re: Doing a conditional aggregate (e.g. count(*) if x=y) in postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Geoff Tolley
Subject Re: Doing a conditional aggregate (e.g. count(*) if x=y) in postgres?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> All;
> Is there a way to get a conditional aggregate?  I have this two column view:
>
>  SELECT count(*) AS count, xx_plan.plan_name
>    FROM xx_membership
>    JOIN xx_account USING (account_id)
>    JOIN xx_plan USING (plan_id)
>   WHERE xx_membership.status = 10
>   GROUP BY xx_plan.plan_name;
>
> And would like to add additional columns (not rows) breaking out
> "status=20" and "status=30" totals.
> Is this possible without a stored procedure?

SELECT sum(CASE WHEN xx_membership.status = 10 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS sum10,       sum(CASE WHEN xx_membership.status =
20THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS sum20,       sum(CASE WHEN xx_membership.status = 30 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS sum30,
xx_plan.plan_name FROM xx_membership  JOIN xx_account USING (account_id)  JOIN xx_plan USING (plan_id) WHERE
xx_membership.statusIN (10,20,30) GROUP BY xx_plan.plan_name;

You may or may not care about including the WHERE clause there depending
upon its selectivity and whether there's an index for the planner to use.

HTH,
Geoff