Re: pg_dump? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul Lambert
Subject Re: pg_dump?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Richard Dunne wrote:
> PostgreSQL begginer. Whats the best way of exporting(dumping) a database/table/view/query to a file?
> I am using PostgreSQL v 8.2.  I am starting postgres server with
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe  start pgsql-8.2, (start service)
> C:\postgresql-8.2.3-1\bin\psql.exe  -h localhost -p 5432 postgres "Richard"
> (psql to 'postgres')
> both of which are run from shortcuts in the start menu.
> my cli starts with "postgres #", then "databasename #" after connecting using \c.
>
> Richard.

With exactly what you said in the subject... pg_dump

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgdump.html

Your other option would be with an SQL 'COPY'

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-copy.html

The difference between the two is dump will give you output including
the SQL used to put it back into the database, i.e. INSERT INTO
statements whereas copy will give you a flat delimited file.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator