INSTALL appnote for Solaris 10... - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject INSTALL appnote for Solaris 10...
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I just built a version of postgres 8.2.4 on Solaris 10 x86 ... a few
things that could be mentioned in INSTALL, and or in the Solaris notes....

There is a Sun supplied version of gnu readline is on the Solaris
"Companion" DVD as package SFWrline ...

    cd /mnt/Solaris_Software_Companion/Solaris_i386/Packages
    pkgadd -d . SFWrline

(use _sparc for sparc hardware)

Solaris has a `crle` command that performs a function similar to
ldconfig of the BSD systems.     To globally add libreadline and libsl
to the library path, I used...

  crle -l /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/sfw/lib:/usr/sfw/lib

if you only wanted to do this for a single user, then put the following
in that user's profile,

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/sfw/lib:/usr/sfw/lib

for compilation, set the path as..

    export PATH; PATH=/usr/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin

to compile with Sun Studio 11, I found this worked quite nicely...

    ./configure --prefix=/opt/app/pgsql --with-perl --with-openssl
--with-python \
        CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/sfw/include
-I/usr/sfw/include"
    /usr/sfw/bin/gmake

to prevent any possible conflicts with the Sun distributed 8.1.8, I used...

    pkgrm SUNWpostgr SUNWpostgr-devel SUNWpostgr-docs SUNWpostgr-jdbc \
        SUNWpostgr-libs SUNWpostgr-pl SUNWpostgr-server
SUNWpostgr-server-data \
        SUNWpostgr-tcl

The contrib/start-scripts/freebsd worked adequately as
/etc/init.d/postgres if I removed the -l from the `su` commands.