Passing input to a view? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul Lambert
Subject Passing input to a view?
Date
Re: Passing input to a view?  ("Phillip Smith" <phillip.smith@weatherbeeta.com.au>)
List pgsql-sql
Is it possible to define a view to use input parameters rather than a
hard-wired value in a where clause?

I.e. I have the following view:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW invoiced_repairs AS
SELECT ro_header.ro_number, ro_header.received_date, vehicles.vehicle_id,vehicles.model, vehicles.engine,
vehicles.transmission,

ro_header.odometer_reading,ro_header.service_description,(         CASE WHEN (vehicles.month_of_manufacture <> '' AND
vehicles.year_of_manufacture <> '') THEN    (vehicles.month_of_manufacture || '/' || vehicles.year_of_manufacture) ELSE
  ''         END        ) AS date_of_manufacture,vehicles.identification_number, vehicles.engine_number from ro_header

INNER JOIN vehicles USING (vehicle_address)
WHERE ro_header.received_date between '1-jan-2007' AND '10-May-2007';
ALTER TABLE invoiced_repairs OWNER TO postgres;

Instead of having it set to 1-Jan-2007 and 10-May-2007 for the dates,
can I specify that those values should be passed to the view? Or would I
need to change this to an SQL language function?

I can't find anything in the documentation that answers this, but maybe
I'm not looking hard enough.

Thanks in advance.

--
Paul Lambert