Re: In theory question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Dorbath
Subject Re: In theory question
Date
Re: In theory question
List pgsql-general
On 09.05.2007 16:13, Naz Gassiep wrote:
> This may be a question for -hackers, but I don't like disturbing them
> unnecessarily.
>
> I've been having a look at memcached. I would like to ask, is there any
> reason that, theoretically, a similar caching system could be built
> right into the db serving daemon?
>
> I.e., the hash tables and libevent could sit on top of postmaster as an
> optional component caching data on a per-query basis and only hitting
> the actual db in the event of a cache miss?

I think this is close to what MySQL's query cache does. The question is
if this should be the job of the DBMS and not another layer. At least
the pgmemcache author and I think that it's better done outside the
DBMS. See http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/pgmemcache.pdf for
the idea.

--
Regards,