Re: Windows Vista support (Buildfarm Vaquita) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Windows Vista support (Buildfarm Vaquita)
Date
PostgreSQL wants to install, cancel or allow? (was Re: Windows Vista support (Buildfarm Vaquita)  (Ned Lilly <ned@nedscape.com>)
Re: Windows Vista support (Buildfarm Vaquita)  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
Re: Windows Vista support (Buildfarm Vaquita)  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Meskes wrote:
> Dave, could you please run
>
> insert into date_test ( d  , ts  ) values (  date '1966-01-17' ,
> timestamp '2000-07-12 17:34:29' );
>
> on the Vista system and then select * from date_test;?
>
> According to the logs the insert runs successfully but the select gives
> an invalid date format. Interestingly the date argument is displayed
> correctly but the timestamp argument throws the invalid date error,
> which does not really make sense.

I had to create the table manually of course, so copying what the code
seems to do, I get:

regress1=# create table date_test (d date, ts timestamp);
CREATE TABLE
regress1=# set datestyle to iso;
SET
regress1=# insert into date_test(d, ts) values (date '1966-01-17',
timestamp '2000-07-12 17:34:29');
INSERT 0 1
regress1=# select * from date_test;     d      |         ts
------------+--------------------- 1966-01-17 | 2000-07-12 17:34:29
(1 row)

Which looks OK to me :-(

> Unfortunately I do not have access to a Vista system I could use to test
> and track this one down.

I'm happy to run any tests you like.

> As far as the other message is concerned I'm at a loss. It simply
> refuses to run the sql/update script. No idea why.

Oh, hang on... Vista's new 'security' features include popups that ask
permission from the user before running any installers. One of the more
basic checks they use is the filename - *anything* called setup.exe will
cause user confirmation to be required before it will run. I believe for
non-interactive sessions it'll just refuse to run. I just tried running
update.exe myself, and yes, you guessed it, a user confirmation dialog
popped up :-(

Can we rename the test please?

Regards, Dave.