Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlos Moreno
Subject Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
>> CPUs, 32/64bit, or clock speeds.   So any attempt to determine "how
>> fast"
>> a CPU is, even on a 1-5 scale, requires matching against a database of
>> regexes which would have to be kept updated.
>>
>> And let's not even get started on Windows.
>
> I think the only sane way to try and find the cpu speed is to just do
> a busy loop of some sort (ideally something that somewhat resembles
> the main code) and see how long it takes. you may have to do this a
> few times until you get a loop that takes long enough (a few seconds)
> on a fast processor

I was going to suggest just that (but then was afraid that again I may have
been just being naive) --- I can't remember the exact name, but I remember
using (on some Linux flavor) an API call that fills a struct with data
on the
resource usage for the process, including CPU time;  I assume measured
with precision  (that is, immune to issues of other applications running
simultaneously, or other random events causing the measurement to be
polluted by random noise).

As for 32/64 bit --- doesn't PG already know that information?  I mean,
./configure does gather that information --- does it not?

Carlos