Re: Fwd: Re[2]: We all are looped on Internet: request + transport = invariant - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Fwd: Re[2]: We all are looped on Internet: request + transport = invariant
Date
List pgsql-sql
Dmitry Turin wrote:
> Good day, Richard.
>
> RH> With 7 flights it is easy to see if #2 matches #4. With 700 it is not so
> RH> easy to see #2 matches #504. With a tree-structure it is impossible to
> RH> sort leaf nodes without restructuring the tree.
>
> What is "#2 matches #4" ?

Individual flights might occur in one or more options when building a
flight-plan.

> What sorting are you imply ?

None.

> To be in safe side:
> TML allow table as particular case of tree
> (when records of one table, i.e. nodes, have not sub-records, i.e. sub-nodes).
>
> RH> Never heard of eHTML, and I don't believe you can build a public-facing
> RH> website with it unless it's at least as complicated as php.
>
> I try
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1384.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1380.html

Nothing there to build a website with - by which I mean the logic
required for an interactive website.

>>> No. html-page send xml-data to TML-function "main".
>>> Without any PHP.
> RH> But it can't. It's HTML. You can't map arbitrary user-interface (e.g.
> RH> perhaps I want users to click on a map of the world to pick cities) to a
> RH> query language without some sort of glue language.
>
> You click on a map, and form send data to DBMS
> (DBMS listen port#80 and accept HTTP).
> What is impossible ?

1. HTML can't locate the nearest valid city based on where you clicked.
HTML+Javascript could perhaps, but you didn't want people learning
programming languages.
2. There isn't a database that listens on port 80 for HTTP
3. If there was, you'd still need it to translate a HTTP POST/GET into
an internal query (in SQL or TML if there existed an implementation of
TML). For non-trivial cases, that implies a programming language.
4. You'd still need logic to validate/transform input values and do the
same for output values. For non-trivial cases that involves a
programming language.

>>> TML extract xml to address of requester.
>
> RH> But no-one's going to want raw XML are they? They'll want properly
> RH> formatted results
>
> I agree.
> Results will formatted by CSS (or XSL).
>
> Even XSL is easier for scientists, than PHP-library.

Why are scientists building a flight-planning website?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd