Re: Compiling PostgreSQL 8.2 on Windows using msvc2k5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Compiling PostgreSQL 8.2 on Windows using msvc2k5
Date
List pgsql-general
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to learn more about PostgreSQL (8.x) internal architecture so
> as to build C extensions and Stored Procedures in C. I think that I nice
> way to start is trying to compile PostgreSQL from the source. I'm on
> Windows XP PRO. I've found this article:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/x19444.html. I've
> downloaded all the dependencies and have put them on
> "C:\prog\pgsql\depend" (I discovered the default path was this the first
> time the compiler complained about missing libs. Didn't find a way to
> change this path though.)

You can choose the path for the dependencies freely. Per the
documentation you refer to: "Before you build, edit the file config.pl
to reflect the configuration options you want set, including the paths
to libraries used.". So just change the path if you want them to live
somewhere else.

> I have gone to /src/tools/msvc and ran build. However, I still receive
> tons of errors and warnings.
>
> My main doubt here is about the dependencies. I'm not used to the
> process of compiling third party source code. I've checked out the cvs
> to get the source rather than getting the source somewhere else. Does
> this cvs release need all the dependencies listed on the article above
> or there is something that is optional?

The list states which are optional.

> Is there an easier way to get
> all these dependencies? I didn't find instructions on where to put them

The article you mention above has information about where you can
download them. You can put them anywhere you want.

> (I discovered by accident that the compiler expected them to be on
> "C:\prog\pgsql\depend").

That's just the default, you can change it in config.pl.

> Note: I had to modify the pgbison.bat (commented the part where it
> checks for the version 1.875) so it would run bison over the .y files.).

There is a reason that check is there, and that is that it *will* break
with the versions of bison that don't pass that check. So put the check
back in and download a supported version of bison (according to the
article you link to, you need either 1.875 or 2.2-or-later, I'm assuming
you have 2.0 or 2.1 since it complains)

//Magnus