Re: Query Join Performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Query Join Performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
Aaron Bono wrote:
> Performance tanks with this query - it takes over 120 seconds (that is
> where
> I set the timeout).

> BTW, on our Linux box the full query we run (which adds 3 more tables on
> the
> whole operation along with more filtering on the zip table) finishes in
> under 10 seconds.  Problem is our development is on Windows and this is a
> real pain for developers to test.

So what's different between the systems. Obvious things to look at:
1. EXPLAIN ANALYSE outputs to show the plans (these presumably are
different, but in what details, and why?)
2. Configuration (particularly memory/cost settings).
3. Hardware.
4. Locale/encoding - these can affect index usage and sorting.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd