Re: pg_connect sometimes works sometimes not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pobox@verysmall.org
Subject Re: pg_connect sometimes works sometimes not
Date
Re: pg_connect sometimes works sometimes not  (Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>)
Re: pg_connect sometimes works sometimes not  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> pobox@verysmall.org wrote:
>> What other variable (which are sometimes there, sometimes not) reasons
>> there can be pg_connect to fail?
>
> What result-code/error do you get? What do your logs show?

I have -

$connection = pg_connect("$host $db $user $pass");

When I get the error it is because $connection is 'false'.

Thought of using pg_result_error - but it seems applicable only to
queries (i.e. with pg_query or pg_execute). How can I get an error code?

PostgreSQL is instructed to log into the syslog, which is
/var/log/messages. There are only two type of things there from today -

[1-1] WARNING: nonstandard use of \\ in a string literal at character XXX

[1-2] HINT: Use the escape string syntax for backslashes, e.g., E'\\'.

But it does not seem like any of these are related to pg_connect, or am
I wrong (I guess they are related to bad code somewhere).

Thank you,
Iv