Re: Server not listening - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andy Shellam
Subject Re: Server not listening
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi George,

OK the fact you cannot telnet from your XP machine to the server's
PostgreSQL port now suggests it's a problem getting to the server port.
Checking for the existence of a firewall is an ambiguous question I'm
afraid!  There's not only the case of if there's a software firewall,
but is there a router between you and the server that's filtering out
other traffic?

What version of Linux are you running on the server?
Who originally set the server up?
Can they not tell you if there's a firewall on it?
Who set up the networks between you and the server?
Is there a router between you and the server, or a hardware firewall?

One thing that's just struck me that you can do in the interim (which is
actually better security but doesn't really answer your question)
because you have SSH access, is to tunnel PostgreSQL over SSH.  This is
actually what I do, my firewall doesn't let anyone but the server
connect to PostgreSQL.

I take it you're using PuTTY to connect via SSH to the server?  If so,
see this link to set up a tunnel.
http://docs.cs.byu.edu/docs/sshtunnels/3.php

In the tunneling setup in PuTTY (as described in the link above), set
the following:

Source port: 5432
Destination: 127.0.0.1:5432
Set it as Local, and Auto

Add the tunnel, then save the connection.  Now when you connect to your
server via SSH, you'll have a port listening on 5432 on your local
machine.  Whatever you send/receive from this port will be tunneled to
the server over SSH.

It's then as easy as instructing PgAdmin to connect to "localhost" on
port 5432, in the background it's actually connecting to your server.

HTH

Andy.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->