Re: where clause help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: where clause help
Date
List pgsql-general
Ketema wrote:
> i have a record set like below:
>
> num_prods|num_open_issues|num_provisioned|num_canceled
> 1|0|1|0
> 2|0|0|2
> 3|0|1|1  *
> 2|0|1|1
> 1|0|0|1
> 2|0|0|0  *
> 3|3|0|0
> 3|0|0|3
> 3|1|0|2
> 3|2|0|1
> 2|0|2|0
>
> Of the list above only row 3 and row 6 should be returned.
>
> Plain english definition:
> With a result set like above eliminate all rows that should not show
> up on the provision List.  Provision List Definition: All rows that
> have products that need provisioning.  Provisioning means its NOT
> canceled and it does NOT have an open issue.

If I understand this correctly, we start with:
where num_cancelled < num_prods and num_open_issues < num_prods

> Some facts:
> num_open_issues + num_provisioned + num_canceled will never be more
> than num_prods.
> no individual column will ever be more than num_prods.

Then in addition to this, we also only retrieve records where:

 num_open_issues + num_provisioned + num_canceled < num_prods
and
 num_open_issues < num_prods (already there above, no need to have it twice)
and
 num_provisioned < num_prods
and
 num_canceled < num_prods (already there above, no need to have it twice)

giving the query:

select * from table
where num_open_issues < num_prods
    and num_provisioned < num_prods
    and num_canceled < num_prods
    and (num_open_issues + num_provisioned + num_canceled) < num_prods;

With (I think) the result of:

records 1,11 fail as num_provisioned  is not < num_prods
records 2,8 fail as num_cancelled is not < num_prods
record 3 passes all constraints
records 4,5,9, 10 fail as num_open_issues + num_provisioned +
num_canceled is not < num_prods
record 6  passes all constraints
record 7 fails as num_open_issues is not < num_prods

Is this what you were after?

Brent Wood