Re: We all are looped on Internet: request+transport = invariant - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bart Degryse
Subject Re: We all are looped on Internet: request+transport = invariant
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'll continue with the analogy
It is not impossible to attach wings to a sportscar. When you do, you will probably get the sportscar flying.
However:
1. Why would you even try, if airplanes (which are designed from scratch to fly) already exist. Just use them
2. If you try nevertheless, is getting your car to fly worth the effert it will cost. It might fly in the end, but it will never be a Phantom (or whatever plane you prefer). Making something that can fly, requires you to focus on that from scratch. A car was never designed to fly. So basically a flying car will still be a car and not a plane.

So, since hierarchical databases do exist, why even bother trying to transform a relational database into something that resembles a hierarchical database. A real hierarchical will always be better suited to do the job than your addition to a relational database will be, simply because the hierarchical database was designed from scratch to do just that.

>>> Dmitry Turin <sql4-en@narod.ru> 2007-04-23 12:07 >>>
Good day, Bart.

> A hierarchical is specialized in managing data which is
> hierarchically structured, while a relational database is not.

You don't answer to question
(why is impossible to make addition for relational database?).

Dmitry Turin
http://html6.by.ru
http://sql4.by.ru
http://computer2.by.ru