Re: Passing arrays to stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Garrison
Subject Re: Passing arrays to stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> William Garrison <postgres@mobydisk.com> writes:
>> I'm using npgsql and C#, and I've realized it doesn't support passing
>> arrays.  Barring things like updating npgsql, what form of hackiness
>> would work best here?
>
>> The customerIDs are GUIDs represented as 16-byte arrays.  I can pass
>> them as encoded strings separated by commas or some such silliness.  But
>> I don't see a nice clean split() function that returns me an array. :-(
>
> Do you need one?  Can't you just pass the array as one parameter?
> The text form of an array is like
>     {value,value,value}
> which shouldn't be that hard to deal with if you can generate the text
> form of the individual bytea values.
>
>             regards, tom lane

That doesn't work.  If I pass a string, then it is a string.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION CalculateTotals(
    customerList character varying,
.
.
.
     WHERE customerid = ANY($1);
Results in the error:
     ERROR: op ANY/ALL (array) requires array on right side

I tried casting the character string to an array afterward:

     WHERE customerid = ANY($1::bytea);
which results in:
     ERROR: cannot cast type character varying to bytea