Re: seeking: advice on reordering table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: seeking: advice on reordering table
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Jonathan Vanasco <postgres@2xlp.com> wrote:
>> can anyone suggest a good way to reorder the table ?  everything that
>> i can think of involves creating a new table which means I'd have to
>> redo all the constraints .
> The common thing to do is to write your query in such
> a way that what interests you most is put left ...
>
>> // Jonathan Vanasco

Create a clustered index on the attribute you want it ordered by. (I'm
not sure is a clustered index can be a composite, but the docs or
someone else here will let you know :-)

Note that any inserts (or updates on the attr with the clustered index)
will cause the ordering to be broken, in which case you'll need to
re-cluster.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood