The rule question before, request official documentation on the problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject The rule question before, request official documentation on the problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all;

Sorry to follow up so soon on my own post.  I did find that there was
some discussion about this problem back in 2003.  However, the big issue
is that sequences are wrapped by serial data types and so this is likely
to be a common issue (using an insert rule on a serial, causing the
sequence to be incremented for the target table too).  In the
application I am working on, this was reviewed by a number of people who
are pretty strong PostgreSQL experts and nobody spotted this as an issue.

My request at this point is to officially and clearly document this as a
substantial limitation of rules.  It is not obvious that this is how
rules are supposed to behave in this case, and even assuming that the
current behavior is desired, it would be nice to let us know this :-)
Sometimes the easiest way to fix a bug is to document it as a feature....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Attachment